Reasons for Authors Using Pen Names Might Include:
- If the author’s real name is similar (or identical) to another well-known person, an author might want to change it so as not to be confused with the “other person.”
2) To keep their writing career separate from their “occupation.”
3) To have a more memorable name.
4) To make certain one has access to the URL and social media handles they want.
5) If one’s real name is hard to pronounce or is easily misspelled.
6) Writing under different names may help to avoid readers’ confusion if the authors writes in several different genres.
7) If they are writing about something controversial and fear reprisal.
8) If their real name suggests something negative. (I remember being afraid of our family doctor when I was a child. His name was Dr. Slaughter!)
9) Just for fun!