What to do if your manuscript word count is too low:
- Consider making it book one in a series.
- Publish it as a novella.
- Reread your manuscript. Are there places you can add a scene? A chapter?
- Could you write a prologue? An Epilogue?
What to do if your manuscript word count is too high:
- Reread your manuscript. Look for ways to use more concise vocabulary in order to say what you intend, but with less words.
- Eliminate repetition. Especially in cases where you are revealing your character’s inner thoughts.
- Split your book in two, making the second half another book in your “new” series.
- Remove some of your content (especially in non-fiction or self-help books) and use the “extra” content in a blog, short story, etc.